A site dedicated to the discussion of the Wing-T offensive system and the Definative Wing-T
Buy a Copy of my Books today at scribd.com
Documents

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Teaching ESL - YES or NO

I have been teaching adult English as a second language for the past year and a half now. I didn't mind teaching it at first. It was great to build relationships with my students and to help them pick up the English language.It was also nice to pick up some extra cash for only doing 4 hours a week

I am now getting burned out teaching the class. I do not get any planning time for the class. at least not any paid planning time for the class. I am given a book and told go get'em.

Even if I did have the planning time, I don't think it would make that much difference. I usually have about 20 - 25 people registered for the class. I usually only have 6 or 7 show up for class. They are usually different every week. Sure I may have 2 or 3 who are pretty consistent. Believe me those are the students that have the most success and help make the class worth while. So how do you plan when you don't know who is going to show up from week to week?

If I try to bring in things to supplement the class and try to make it more fun for me and fun for the students, I am discouraged by my supervisor. "You are doing to many PowerPoint's, you are playing too many games, They need to do more from the book"

Students, especially adults can only do so much from a real boring book. I know the book is to help them get the concepts and to help them speak the language and have conversations. I do use the book quite often but I just need more....

I guess I am burnt out! I notice that there is a pretty large turnover of teachers, however some have been teaching it for 15 years now.

I wouldn't mind giving it up how ever the money is nice and my family sure can use it. My wife also thinks I should stick it out. I am just frustrated!!!!

What do I do??? Do I quit, upset my wife and loose the income or do I stick it out, make money and feel like I am just spinning my wheels?

0 comments: