A site dedicated to the discussion of the Wing-T offensive system and the Definative Wing-T
Buy a Copy of my Books today at scribd.com
Documents

Friday, April 25, 2008

400 Series - The Option (post 1)

Over the years I have heard many coaches say that they either love the option or they hate the option. For me it is a love/hate relationship. I like to run the option but you have to have the right personnel. That means you have to have a quarterback that can think on his feet. If you try and run the option without the personnel you need than it can be disastrous.

I call my option series the 400 series. The only reason why I call it the 400 series is because when I was in high school the option was called the 40 series. So really no rationale behind it. The option is originally run as part of the veer but I, and several other coaches have adapted it to their offense. The option can be run out of numerous formations.

Out of the option the QB is moving down the line of scrimmage (LOS) and will either Fake or give the ball to the fullback diving through the hole. He will than continue down the line, read the end man on the LOS and decide either to keep the ball or pitch it to a trailing back. This is why the QB needs to be able to think on his feet. He has to make several reads on the same play.

The typical option would like like this:

Right 418 Option




Here is a video of Navy running the option out of a double wing formation





My next post shall be on other plays that I run out of the option series (400)

0 comments: