A site dedicated to the discussion of the Wing-T offensive system and the Definative Wing-T
Buy a Copy of my Books today at scribd.com
Documents

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Passing in the Wing-T

The passing game in the Wing-T is pretty much like the passing game in any other system. I say this because you are able to do the three and five step straight drop back pass just as you can in any other system.

I believe the key to the passing game in the wing-t is to make sure you are throwing out of several different formations. It is a little more restricting throwing out of a left or right formation (100/900). I would throw more out of a pro formation, or a slot formation. Don't get me wrong though I would still boot out of left and right or I would motion the wing out from the left or right. Heck I would even send him in a jet motion and have him run a pass pattern out of it.


Just about every coach you talk to will tell you a different way on how they name their pass routes. Some coaches use the passing tree. (image below) Other coaches have everything as complementary routes. They would call it something like slice, etc. and backside would have a complementary route. I personally like to give a different name to my routes and take each player from left to right. example: Pro right 922 WFO. (900 is my play action series, 2 back to 2 hole) Whip Flag OUT (Back field motion just like a 222 Trap)


The play would look like the following:

Pro Right 922 WFO

If I am to run straight drop back passing I would either run 3 step (700 series) or 5 step (800 series). Most of the time I would either do play action or 3 step passing (shorter routes)
In the straight drop back passing I would call the series (700) and tell which back to run a banana route. It also tells the linemen which way to step. If I call pro right 728 POP I would be saying the following:

Pro right formation, Full back banana to the 8 hole, Line men step to the 8 hole, back side step and hinge. receivers would run routes from left to right: Post, Out, Post

The play would look like the following:


Pro Right 728 POP





The Passing tree


I am always interested in how other coaches do their passing game. so let me know how you do things where you are!!

- Coach D

0 comments: