A site dedicated to the discussion of the Wing-T offensive system and the Definative Wing-T
Buy a Copy of my Books today at scribd.com
Documents

Monday, October 8, 2007

I don't want to be an I told you so but....

It all started at lunch time today. I was sitting next to other teachers and was listening to their conversations and would occasionally throw in my opinion on a couple of different matters. The talk then turned to our high school football team. When this subject comes around I zip my lip because I am very opinionated on this subject and would get myself in trouble by saying something against the present program and the head coach.

My fellow teachers were wondering why we cannot be successful when we obviously have athletes at the school. We have won 4 state titles in other sports over the last 3 years. We have athletes on the football team but we don't seam able to produce results.

For the past two years at the high school I have been an assistant coach. I am a former head coach, have been an assistant at other schools with winning traditions. I have voiced my opinion about what needs to be done at the high school for those two years. We need to get back to the basics and show consistency from week to week, let alone year to year. The head coach seams to change everything from year to year. He has not run the same offense for the past 5 years. Sure the last 4 have been zone blocking but he changes up the scheme. One year he renames all of the formations, trying to simplify. The next year he decides to run everything in a single back offense. The next year he decides maybe we need to pass more and does more of a run and gun offense. He also changes back and forth depending on who we are playing for the week. He in very inconsistent.

I have been telling the head coach for the past two years that we need to make sure we are more consistent. We need to get back to the basics. Emphasize blocking and tackling. Emphasises the steps we need to work on our blocking, hand offs, passing, catching, etc. Make sure that we can run a couple of plays very well. make sure we have the perfect play. We than run those couple of plays out of different formations. GET BACK TO THE BASICS - Don't worry about our opponent so much and worry about ourselves first.

What do I get for voicing my opinion when I am asked what we need to do. I am told to coach the 7th grade team and make sure the basics are taught there. That I am needed to revamp the middle school program because it is our future. What does the high school do to remedy it's problem? NOTHING!!!

So when I was asked during lunch by my fellow teachers and later by parents and by rookie coaches "why is it that you move the ball and have success at the 7th grade level when the varsity struggles" I just close my mouth and zip my lip because I am a member of the football program. I am an assistant coach. I do not bad mouth the program

But.... I told you so.... (The Varsity is presently 1-5)

(I want to be a head varsity football coach again)

0 comments: